Wiilson MuseumCastine Scientific SocietyGo to Home page
Castine Scientific SocietyCastine Scientific Society Wilson Museum word spacer Visit the John Perkins House word spacer Visit the Blacksmith Shop end space
end spacer Cemetery Research word space Wilson Museum Bulletin word space Calendar of Events word space Treasures of the Past end spacer
spacer gif Wilson Museum Education spacer gif Membership spacer gif Shop

The Wilson Museum Bulletin
Spring 2002, Vol. 4, No. 22
Castine Poor Farm   |  Special Summer Activities & Exhibits  |  Bagaduce Engine Co. No. 2

Bagaduce Engine Co. No. 2

Bagaduce Engine Company No. 2The three latest Bulletins, prior to this issue, have featured Castine’s early fire engines and fire companies. One of these issues was devoted to the Bagaduce Engine Co. No. 2 and, until recently, the only picture we had of the fire engine was a very faded stereoscopic view. We are grateful to the Maine Historic Preservation Commission in Augusta for a copy they had of this view. It is No. 34 of thirty-five “Views of Castine and Vicinity” published in 1873 by George E. Collins of Portland, ME.

“The Bagaduce Engine Co., No. 2” is an excellent item to add to our archival material on Castine’s early fire engines, but Collins’ composition offers us another treat. In the background is a church which Harry Thombs, Sr. (1884-1966) identified as the church at No. Castine . . . opposite Colby Gray House. The 1860 map within locates a church opposite and to the north of the Ferry Road.

Dorothy Conner Farnham was the youngest of nine children. Though she did not remember the church, she remembered her eldest sibling Iva Pauline (1891-1980) and Esther Steel Perkins, both of whom grew up in this neighborhood, telling of how they used to play hide and seek in and round the church building, which was then used only as a storage building for hay. The Atlas of Hancock County . . . published by S. F. Colby & Co. in 1881 defines this building as a Store Ho[use].

Castine Poor Farm   |  Special Summer Activities & Exhibits  |  Bagaduce Engine Co. No. 2

WILSON MUSEUM
Open: May 27 - September 30
Weekdays 10 am - 5 pm, Saturday & Sunday 2 - 5 pm
John Perkins House Bullet The Village Blacksmith Bullet Woodshop
July - August, Wednesday & Sunday, 2 - 5 pm
Group visits can be arranged by appointment.
(207) 326-9247   info@wilsonmuseum.org
facebook icon
Admission is free, except for the John Perkins House,
where there are guided tours on the hour.
Back to Top

HOME | WILSON MUSEUM | JOHN PERKINS HOUSE | BLACKSMITH SHOP
CEMETERY RESEARCH | WILSON MUSEUM BULLETIN  | CALENDAR OF EVENTS | TREASURES OF THE PAST
EDUCATION | MEMBERSHIP  | SHOP
A non-profit organization, tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) IRS Code
120 Perkins Street, PO Box 196, Castine Maine 04421
(207) 326-9247    info@wilsonmuseum.org